Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Prawn Hats

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, California, United States

I'm a Westerner.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Goodies

The last thing I want to do is turn this blog into an advert for some corporate omnivore, but having said that, "last" is a pretty serious word, and although I don't aspire to a title change such as "Budweiser's Prawn Hats", there are probably things I'd like even less. Drowning in boiling pickle juice whilst Billy Joel sniggers at my misfortune is the best I can think of, on this short notice.

But that's not what I want to tell you about.

I want to tell you about how much I enjoy some Marks and Spencer groceries. For example, fresh peas. Grown and picked in Kenya. Altho'... I do take exception to two untruths on the packaging:

Untruth #1: It says you should cook them. This is an awful lot of work, and changes the taste. Alright, fine, sometimes you want hot, cooked peas, but sometimes you want cold, crunchy peas that speak volumes regarding what it's like to grow up in Wisconsin in the early 70s.

No, really! Try it and you'll see.

Untruth #2: It says you should wash them. Again, you could do this, I'm not saying you ought not, but if you do your peas will taste just the water you used. The delicate balance of taste, aroma, and overall feel is- changed. Perhaps if there was an easy way to wash and dry, it might be different. See, I'm very open-minded.

I once told my friend Dick about how much I enjoyed my fresh Kenyan M&S peas, you see the reason I told him this, and the reason I'm now telling YOU this, is that Dick often travels to Kenya. He knows people who find seasonal work in Kenya shelling peas. Or picking them, or something. He KNOWS these people. So- I told Dick this so that he could thank his Kenyan friends, on my behalf, for their hard work in the field of peas (that's a pun, get it, field of peas?), and I also mentioned that I rarely-if-ever, wash them. Dick wrinkled his nose and furrowed his brow, "you REALLY ought to wash them. I mean- please. Please wash them." So I did, but I haven't done so since.

I was going to tell you about other M&S culinary delights, but I'm ready to get up and walk away now. See, I've not even made any hyperlinks. Maybe later.
Peas, M&S The Best Ever Mashed Potatoes, and Marc Bolan

7 Comments:

Blogger ipodmomma said...

I like peas with mash... have since the Clinton administration...

5/23/2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember, shortly after I moved to the UK, a fellow yank commenting that,
eventually, I'd start wearing Marks and Sparks undergarments. "They always do" was his stance. And damn
if he wasn't right. I restock every
time I'm back in the UK. Just can't get enough of them.

-Kevin

5/25/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger oldhall said...

YES!!!!

Just... so... nice....

5/25/2006 10:33 PM  
Blogger Helly said...

Alan (my husband, former sous chef) argues with me a lot on the subject of washing vegetables - he's with you, I'm pro-water. If I didn't know what mushrooms grow in, I might feel differently, but, well, I do. Don't have any M&S underwear, though. *sob*

5/28/2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger sandy said...

You don't wash the peas? Hmmmm... you shell them though, right? If that's the case then it's not too bad. What about English peas? I always read about English peas... when do the English peas come into season?

Remember when your kids were little and they couldn't correctly say "Please?" "Peas, dada."

6/02/2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Where're the carrots? When I was a kid, I always mashed peas AND carrots into my potatoes. :)

6/10/2006 2:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The nfl jerseys store Broncos are 8-5 and have Christian Louboutin Women Flat games left against the Patriots, Chiefs and cheap nfl jerseys Raiders, three of the four NFL teams who christian louboutin shoes have Nike Air Max 90 already reached NFL Tom Brady Jerseys at least 10 wins. They christian louboutin uk probably Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes need louboutin outlet to christian louboutin men flat win two Nike Free Run of christian louboutin Panettone spiked leather wallet those three to make the playoffs. This will feel like a wholesale nfl jerseys playoff game already for NFL Rob Gronkowski Nike Jerseys them.

12/20/2016 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home